Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Crazy Cute Creatures!

I know … I know … I said I wasn’t going to buy any more books, but how could I resist this one? Amigurumi Knits by Hansi Singh is full of crazy critters created from bits and pieces of left-over yarn. 

The patterns are colorful, so very creative and utterly adorable! What child could resist a red octopus, striped spider or the Loch Ness monster made out of soft alpaca??

My favorite though is the praying mantis knit in bright green yarn with incredible detail. Often thought of as good luck, we always cherish them when we discover one on a bush or tree on the farm. (… off on a tangent …) Last summer at the farmers market, I bought a 2’ high mantis made from old shovels and bits of junk metal. “Manny” as we dubbed him, has a place in the garden off the deck overlooking a bird bath.

I’m always looking for interesting patterns to knit or crochet and was excited to find one for a small llama purse. I’ve seen the purses for sale on various sites but have not run across a pattern until now. It looks like a fun diversion and would be a really cute gift for a little girl.

I’ll share the results of some of my creatures as they come to life.

Stay warm! Liz

No comments: